The cases of politicians being involved in sex scandals are not new. There are cases around the globe. There has been an association between sex scandals and politics for ages now.
Let’s take a look at some of the most sensational ones in Indian Politics.
- Ramesh Jarkiholi, a Former Karnataka minister had to step down after visuals of him with a woman were flashed on local TV channels.
Recently, this incident came to light on 2nd March 2021 after Kannada news channels aired video clips showing Ramesh Jarkiholi getting intimate with an unidentified woman. It has been alleged that Jarkiholi sought sexual favors from a woman in lieu of a government job. As of now, a Special Investigation Team (SIT) has been formed to look into the matter.
- AAP minister Sandeep Kumar was dismissed, When a CD was delivered to CM Arvind Kejriwal allegedly showing his minister in “a compromising position with a woman”.
The incident happened in 2016. The woman seen with Sandeep Kumar in the video also filed a complaint saying Kumar raped her on the pretext of helping her get a ration card.
- Raghavji Lakhamsi Savala sex scandal, Raghavji resigned as soon as CD surfaced.
Raghavji Lakhamsi Savala was accused of sexually abusing a male domestic help in 2013, then finance minister of Madhya Pradesh. The victim in his report mentioned that the minister had sodomized him with the lure of a permanent government job. At that point in time, Raghavji was 79 years old. As soon as the CD surfaced, Raghavji had to resign from his position.
- Rajasthan’s Local politicians were allegedly found to be involved in a sex racket.
The racket was exposed after a 17-year-old girl alleged that she had been sexually exploited by several men between October 2019 and May 2020.
- In 2019, In Madhya Pradesh, A big sex scandal involving politicians and bureaucrats made headlines
Then CM Kamalnath formed an SIT to probe into the matter. The investigation is still ongoing in what could turn out to be one of India’s biggest sex scandals. It can include many important persons.
- After a video of Former Karnataka Minister H Y Meti in a compromising position with a woman went public. He had to resign from the state cabinet.
The incident came to light in 2016. The woman in the video later filed a rape complaint against the politician.
- Former Rajasthan minister Babulal Nagar sex scandal. He had to resign in the wake of these allegations.
This incident occurred in 2013, Former Rajasthan minister Babulal Nagar was accused by a woman from Jaipur of sexually exploiting her. She alleged that the minister sexually assaulted her after he promised her a government job. The woman alleged that the minister had threatened her telling her to keep her mouth shut. Nagar had to resign in the wake of these allegations.
- Former Bihar People’s Party MLA Brajesh Thakur was charged with rape in the infamous Muzaffarpur shelter home sex scandal.
The matter had come to light in 2018. The politician was sentenced to life imprisonment for sexually and physically assaulting several girls in the shelter home.
- Former Meghalaya Governor V Shanmuganathan resigns following molestation accuses
The incidents happened in 2017 when women activists in Meghalaya began a campaign seeking Shanmuganathan’s removal.
He had to resign after accusations that he had seriously compromised the dignity of the Raj Bhavan and made it a ‘young ladies club’.
- Tamil Nadu governor Banwarilal Purohit was embroiled in a sex scandal.
The matter made headlines in 2018. After he was linked to a female assistant professor arrested for allegedly persuading students into extending sexual favors to government officials.
BanwarilalPurohit rejected the allegations that time saying that he doesn’t know the woman.