• About   |
  • Submit Guest Post |
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
The Second Angle (TSA Magazine)
Advertise
  • Infotainment
    • Sports
    • People
    • Inspiring
  • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
    • Home & Decoration
  • Buzz
  • Education
  • Travel
  • Finance
  • Healthcare
  • Technology
The Second Angle
No Result
View All Result
  • Infotainment
  • Entertainment
  • Buzz
  • Education
  • Travel
  • Finance
  • Healthcare
  • Technology
Advertisement
ADVERTISEMENT
Home News

Arrest warrant issued for the CAR’s former president over human rights abuses

TSA Desk by TSA Desk
May 1, 2024
in News
Reading Time: 3 mins read
Arrest warrant issued for the CAR’s former president over human rights abuses
Share on FacebookShare on WhatsApp
Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement
ADVERTISEMENT

An internationally backed court in the Central African Republic issued an international arrest warrant Tuesday for the country’s exiled former President François Bozizé for human rights abuses from 2009 to 2013, a spokesperson said.

The Special Criminal Court was set up in the capital, Bangui, to try war crimes and other human rights abuses committed during the coups and violence that the country has experienced since 2003.

CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC REPORTS 10,000 CHILDREN STILL FIGHTING WITH MILITANT GROUPS

Court spokesperson Gervais Bodagy Laoulé said the warrant was for crimes committed under Bozizé’s leadership in a civilian prison and at a military training center in the city of Bossembélém where many people were tortured and killed.

KENYA-CAFRICA-TALKS-UNREST

A spokesperson for an internationally backed court in the Central African Republic says the panel has issued an international arrest warrant for exiled former President François Bozizé for human rights abuses. (SIMON MAINA/AFP via Getty Images)

The warrant covers crimes from 2009 to 2013 by the presidential guard and other security forces, Laoulé said.

Bozizé current lives in exile in Guinea-Bissau, where that country’s President Umaro Sissoco Embaló told the Associated Press that he had not received any request from Bangui about the arrest warrant, and that the country’s laws do not allow for extradition.

Ibrahim Nour, whose father was tortured and killed in the infamous Bossembélé prison, welcomed the arrest warrant.

“Justice may be slow, but it will eventually catch up with the executioners. That’s why I welcome the arrest warrant for the men who killed my father, and for whom we are waiting for explanations so that we can begin to mourn,” Nour said.

The court was created in 2015, but took several years to begin operating. Human Rights Watch has described its creation as a landmark to advance justice for victims of serious crimes.

Patryk Labuda, an expert in international criminal law at the Polish Academy of Sciences, told the AP that the warrant issued Tuesday sends a message about the court’s intention to prosecute wrongdoing by the state.

“This arrest warrant is certainly one of the most high profile developments in the 5 years the court has operated,” Labuda said.

Bozizé seized power in a coup in 2003, and was ousted by predominantly Muslim Seleka rebels a decade later. That led to a civil war between the rebels and mostly Christian militias marked by sectarian violence atrocities and the forced use of child soliders.

Both the U.S. and the United Nations targeted Bozizé with sanctions for fueling the violence.

The U.N., which has a peacekeeping mission in the country, estimates the fighting has killed thousands and displaced over a million people, or one-fifth of the population. In 2019, a peace deal was reached between the government and 14 armed groups, but fighting continues.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

About 10,000 children are still fighting alongside armed groups in Central African Republic more than a decade after civil war broke out, the government said earlier this year.

“It’s a great day for us victims to learn that François Bozizé is the target of an international arrest warrant,” said Audrey Yamalé, a member of the Association of Victims of the 2013 Crisis. “But let’s not stop there. We would like Guinea Bissau to cooperate in his extradition.”

(this story has not been edited by TSA Mag staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

RelatedPosts

This Diwali, RVCJ & Honda, in Association with Chinese Wok, Unveil 'WRONG NUMBER REBOOT' – A Perfect Blend of Love, Laughter, & Entertainment

This Diwali, RVCJ & Honda, in Association with Chinese Wok, Unveil ‘WRONG NUMBER REBOOT’ – A Perfect Blend of Love, Laughter, & Entertainment

Polish Man Sentenced To Four Months, Deported From Denmark For June Assault On Danish Prime Minister

Polish Man Sentenced To Four Months, Deported From Denmark For June Assault On Danish Prime Minister

An internationally backed court in the Central African Republic issued an international arrest warrant Tuesday for the country’s exiled former President François Bozizé for human rights abuses from 2009 to 2013, a spokesperson said.

The Special Criminal Court was set up in the capital, Bangui, to try war crimes and other human rights abuses committed during the coups and violence that the country has experienced since 2003.

CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC REPORTS 10,000 CHILDREN STILL FIGHTING WITH MILITANT GROUPS

Court spokesperson Gervais Bodagy Laoulé said the warrant was for crimes committed under Bozizé’s leadership in a civilian prison and at a military training center in the city of Bossembélém where many people were tortured and killed.

KENYA-CAFRICA-TALKS-UNREST

A spokesperson for an internationally backed court in the Central African Republic says the panel has issued an international arrest warrant for exiled former President François Bozizé for human rights abuses. (SIMON MAINA/AFP via Getty Images)

The warrant covers crimes from 2009 to 2013 by the presidential guard and other security forces, Laoulé said.

Bozizé current lives in exile in Guinea-Bissau, where that country’s President Umaro Sissoco Embaló told the Associated Press that he had not received any request from Bangui about the arrest warrant, and that the country’s laws do not allow for extradition.

Ibrahim Nour, whose father was tortured and killed in the infamous Bossembélé prison, welcomed the arrest warrant.

“Justice may be slow, but it will eventually catch up with the executioners. That’s why I welcome the arrest warrant for the men who killed my father, and for whom we are waiting for explanations so that we can begin to mourn,” Nour said.

The court was created in 2015, but took several years to begin operating. Human Rights Watch has described its creation as a landmark to advance justice for victims of serious crimes.

Patryk Labuda, an expert in international criminal law at the Polish Academy of Sciences, told the AP that the warrant issued Tuesday sends a message about the court’s intention to prosecute wrongdoing by the state.

“This arrest warrant is certainly one of the most high profile developments in the 5 years the court has operated,” Labuda said.

Bozizé seized power in a coup in 2003, and was ousted by predominantly Muslim Seleka rebels a decade later. That led to a civil war between the rebels and mostly Christian militias marked by sectarian violence atrocities and the forced use of child soliders.

Both the U.S. and the United Nations targeted Bozizé with sanctions for fueling the violence.

The U.N., which has a peacekeeping mission in the country, estimates the fighting has killed thousands and displaced over a million people, or one-fifth of the population. In 2019, a peace deal was reached between the government and 14 armed groups, but fighting continues.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

About 10,000 children are still fighting alongside armed groups in Central African Republic more than a decade after civil war broke out, the government said earlier this year.

“It’s a great day for us victims to learn that François Bozizé is the target of an international arrest warrant,” said Audrey Yamalé, a member of the Association of Victims of the 2013 Crisis. “But let’s not stop there. We would like Guinea Bissau to cooperate in his extradition.”

(this story has not been edited by TSA Mag staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

ShareSendTweet

Related Posts

This Diwali, RVCJ & Honda, in Association with Chinese Wok, Unveil 'WRONG NUMBER REBOOT' – A Perfect Blend of Love, Laughter, & Entertainment
News

This Diwali, RVCJ & Honda, in Association with Chinese Wok, Unveil ‘WRONG NUMBER REBOOT’ – A Perfect Blend of Love, Laughter, & Entertainment

This Diwali, RVCJ is back with a bang! RVCJ & Honda in association with Chinese Wok, is excited to announce...

Read moreDetails
Polish Man Sentenced To Four Months, Deported From Denmark For June Assault On Danish Prime Minister
News

Polish Man Sentenced To Four Months, Deported From Denmark For June Assault On Danish Prime Minister

A Polish man on Wednesday was sentenced to four months in jail for assault on Danish Prime Minister as well...

Read moreDetails
Egypt Asks Its Airlines To Avoid Iranian Airspace For Three Hours On Thursday
News

Egypt Asks Its Airlines To Avoid Iranian Airspace For Three Hours On Thursday

Egypt instructed all of its airlines to avoid Iranian airspace for three hours in the early morning on Thursday amid...

Read moreDetails
2 Dead, 2 Trapped In Wreckage After Partial Collapse Of A Hotel On Mosel River, Germany
News

2 Dead, 2 Trapped In Wreckage After Partial Collapse Of A Hotel On Mosel River, Germany

Two people have been confirmed dead following the partial collapse of a hotel on Mosel River. The incident occurred in...

Read moreDetails
Nobel Laureate Tapped To Lead Bangladesh After Embattled PM's Ouster
News

Nobel Laureate Tapped To Lead Bangladesh After Embattled PM’s Ouster

Nobel laureate Muhammad Yunus has been selected as the temporary head of the Bangladeshi government following longtime Prime Minister Sheikh...

Read moreDetails
The Atomic Bomb Was Created Under A Secret Government Project, And Was Soon After Dropped On A Japanese City To End WWII
News

The Atomic Bomb Was Created Under A Secret Government Project, And Was Soon After Dropped On A Japanese City To End WWII

The atomic bombs instantly took thousands of lives and thousands more in the aftermath of radiation and injury.

Read moreDetails
Load More

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Links

  • About
  • Guest Post
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Contact Us
  • Newsletter

© 2017-23. The Second Angle. All Rights Reserved. Developed and Managed by SquareBase.io

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Infotainment
    • Sports
    • People
    • Inspiring
  • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
    • Home & Decoration
  • Buzz
  • Education
  • Travel
  • Finance
  • Healthcare
  • Technology

© 2017-23. The Second Angle. All Rights Reserved. Developed and Managed by SquareBase.io

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.