• About   |
  • Submit Guest Post |
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
The Second Angle (TSA Magazine)
Advertise
  • Infotainment
    • Sports
    • People
    • Inspiring
  • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
    • Home & Decoration
  • Buzz
  • Education
  • Travel
  • Finance
  • Healthcare
  • Technology
The Second Angle
No Result
View All Result
  • Infotainment
  • Entertainment
  • Buzz
  • Education
  • Travel
  • Finance
  • Healthcare
  • Technology
Advertisement
ADVERTISEMENT
Home World News

At least 38 killed as two buses collide in Senegal

by TSA Desk
January 9, 2023
in World News
Reading Time: 3 mins read
At Least 38 Killed As Two Buses Collide In Senegal
Share on FacebookShare on WhatsApp
Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement
ADVERTISEMENT

[ad_1]

A general view of the scene of a bus accident in Kaffrine, central Senegal, on January 8, 2023.

A general view of the scene of a bus accident in Kaffrine, central Senegal, on January 8, 2023.
| Photo Credit: AFP

Thirty-nine people were killed and more than 100 others injured when two buses crashed in a head-on collision overnight on an arterial road in Senegal‘s central Kaffrine region, President Macky Sall told reporters on Sunday.

Images of the incident showed the completely mangled front end of a white bus, with blood-flecked seats, personal items and a shoe strewn around the tree-lined crash site.

Road accidents are common in Senegal, largely because of driver error, poor roads and decrepit vehicles, say experts, but the latest disaster has caused one of the heaviest losses of life from a single incident in recent years.

RelatedPosts

Top 10 Richest Athletes of 2024 - Highest Paid - RVCJ

Top 10 Richest Athletes of 2024 – Highest Paid

The Richest Woman In The World -

Who Is The Richest Woman In The World? Top 10 List – 2024

Speaking to reporters, Sall corrected an earlier government statement that had put the death toll at 40, citing a miscount at the morgue.

He made the comments after visiting the crash site, on the No. 1 national highway just outside of the village of Sikilo, and speaking with some of the injured at the regional hospital in the nearby town of Kaffrine.

“We note with great pain and sadness the death of 39 people in this traffic accident near Kaffrine”, Sall said.

“We have lost many young people in this accident and tomorrow the Prime Minister will convene an interministerial council that will involve the world of transport – transporters, drivers, insurers, security services – to look at the measures to be taken”, he added.

The government has announced three days of national mourning beginning on Monday, with flags to be flown at half-mast throughout the country.

Kaffrine mayor Abdoulaye Saydou Sow, who is also the Minister of Urbanism, said in a statement that the accident occurred between 2:00 and 3:00 am (GMT and local) on Sunday and was caused by a burst tyre.

He said the Kaffrine morgue was “saturated” and that bodies were being sent to another morgue in Kaolack, a city 40 miles (65 km) away.

Public prosecutor, Cheikh Dieng, had previously said in a statement that early investigations suggested a public passenger bus suffered a burst tyre and swerved off course.

It then crashed “head-on with another bus coming in the opposite direction”, he said.

Table of Contents
  • ‘Tragic’

‘Tragic’

Sow said he and several other Ministers had visited the injured in Kaffrine and Kaolack on Sunday.

The delegation included the Minister of Land Transport, Mansour Faye, Health Minister Marie Kermesse Ngom, and Minister of Territorial Equity and National Solidarity, Samba Ndiobene Ka, he said.

The president of the National Assembly, Amadou Mame Diop, said in a statement that he “and all the Members of Parliament share the grief of the entire Senegalese people” and commended “the rapid response of the emergency services”.

Opposition politician Ousmane Sonko announced on Twitter that he would postpone a scheduled fundraising program in light of the accident.

“We bow before the memory of the deceased, offer our very sincere condolences to their grieving loved ones and to all Senegalese and pray for the merciful rest of their souls as well as a speedy recovery for the injured”, he said.

France’s Minister of Foreign Affairs on Sunday conveyed her condolences to her Senegalese counterpart, the French Ministry said in a statement.

In October 2020, at least 16 people were killed and 15 more injured when a bus collided with a refrigerated lorry in western Senegal.

Local media said at the time that the truck was hauling fish to Dakar.

[ad_2]

ShareSendTweet
Previous Post

Pro-Bolsonaro protesters storm Brazil’s Congress in capital

Next Post

Democratic traditions must be respected by everyone: PM Modi on Brazil protests

Related Posts

Top 10 Richest Athletes of 2024 - Highest Paid - RVCJ
Infotainment

Top 10 Richest Athletes of 2024 – Highest Paid

Ever wondered about how your favourite athletes earn? Let's find out. We have compiled a list of the top 10...

Read moreDetails
The Richest Woman In The World -
World News

Who Is The Richest Woman In The World? Top 10 List – 2024

According to Forbes' 2024 data, 369 out of 2,781 billionaires, or 13.3% are women, up from 337 last year. But...

Read moreDetails
At least 25 killed in rebel attack on Ugandan school near Congo border
World News

At least 25 killed in rebel attack on Ugandan school near Congo border

The Allied Democratic Forces, or ADF, is accused of launching many attacks on civilians in recent years, notably on civilian...

Read moreDetails
Chinese president Xi Jinping stresses U.S.-China cooperation in meeting with Bill Gates
World News

Chinese president Xi Jinping stresses U.S.-China cooperation in meeting with Bill Gates

In this photo released by China’s Xinhua News Agency, Bill Gates, left, meets with Chinese President Xi Jinping in Beijing,...

Read moreDetails
U.S. guided-missile submarine arrives in South Korea amid North Korea’s missile tests
World News

U.S. guided-missile submarine arrives in South Korea amid North Korea’s missile tests

The nuclear-powered submarine USS Michigan approaches a naval base in Busan, South Korea | Photo Credit: AP The United States...

Read moreDetails
Morning Digest | Heavy rains pound Gujarat coast as cyclone Biparjoy makes landfall; South Manipur cut off as women-led vigilante groups block roads, and more
World News

Morning Digest | Heavy rains pound Gujarat coast as cyclone Biparjoy makes landfall; South Manipur cut off as women-led vigilante groups block roads, and more

Policemen stand guard on the Arabian Sea coast ahead of cyclone Biparjoy’s landfall at Mandvi in Kutch district of Gujarat...

Read moreDetails
Load More
Next Post
Democratic traditions must be respected by everyone: PM Modi on Brazil protests

Democratic traditions must be respected by everyone: PM Modi on Brazil protests

Important Links

  • About
  • Guest Post
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Contact Us
  • Newsletter

© 2017-23. The Second Angle. All Rights Reserved. Developed and Managed by SquareBase.io

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Infotainment
    • Sports
    • People
    • Inspiring
  • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
    • Home & Decoration
  • Buzz
  • Education
  • Travel
  • Finance
  • Healthcare
  • Technology

© 2017-23. The Second Angle. All Rights Reserved. Developed and Managed by SquareBase.io

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.