No more starting sentences with 2020. Finally. But has anything really changed? Apart from us messing up in writing dates, nothing really seems different. The fact that perhaps the most cursed year in the history of humanity has ended, feels a little unreal. It will take time to settle in. And while it does we will continue binging the leftover content across all OTT platforms. With ‘Netflix and lounge’ becoming the routine, cinemas feel alien now. Although Bollywood shoots have already begun, when will we go back to cinemas still remains an unanswered question.
However, what has been brought to our knowledge is that Indian Cinema has a lot in store for us this year. Names of quite a number of star-studded movies have been making rounds recently. New looks are surfacing on social media frequently. As for how will the movies be released is still a matter of discussion for the creators. By the hopes of people, if things turn out well this year, creators would like to go for the big screen bringing back the community experience of enjoying cinema together. But if things go downhill, which we hope doesn’t, OTT will be the saviour yet again. Whatever the case may be, some very refreshing content awaits.
Here is a list of movies we are looking forward to in 2021:
- Ramprasad ki tehrvi – This family drama film directed by Seema Pahwa stars Naseeruddin Shah, Konkona Sen Sharma, Vinay Pathak, Supriya Pathak, Vikrant Massey, Vineet Kumar and Manoj Pahwa. It premiered at the Mumbai Film Festival on 17 October 2019. It is now set to release theatrically on 1 January 2021. The trailer is out now.
- Kaagaz – Directed by Satish Kaushik, this biographical drama starring Pankaj Tripathi in the lead role is set to release on 7th January 2021. The trailer of the film has already been released.
- Sardar Udham Singh – This Shoojit Sircar directed film starring Vicky Kaushal in the lead role is a biographical film about Udham Singh the revolutionary freedom fighters who assassinated Michael O’Dwyer to avenge the 1919 Jallianwala massacre. The release date of the film is 15th January 2021.
- Tribhanga – Starring Kajol, Tanvi Azmi and Mithila Palkar the film is directed by Renuka Shahane. This social issue drama film is set to release on 15th January 2021 on Netflix. A small teaser is out on Netflix India’s YouTube channel.
- Bachchan Pandey – This Akshay Kumar, Kriti Sanon and Jacqueline Fernandez starrer action film is directed by Farhad Samji. It was first scheduled to release on 25th December 2020 but has been rescheduled to 22nd January 2021.
- 83 – This sports drama film directed by Kabir Khan showcase the 1983 India Cricket team that won the world cup. The stellar cast of the film includes Ranvir Singh, Tahir Raj Bhasin, Saqib Saleem, Harrdy Sandhu, Ammy Virk, Pankaj Tripathi, Bowman Irani and Deepika Padukone. The film will be releasing on 22nd January 2021.
- The White Tiger – Directed by Ramon Bharani the movie stars Adarsh Gourav, Rajkumar Rao and Priyanka Chopra Jonas. The movie is adapted from Aravind Amiga’s 2008 novel of the same name. The film will release on Netflix on 22nd January 2020. The official trailer is out on Netflix India’s YouTube channel.
- Krrish 4 – The fourth film of the superhero franchise from the father-son duo, Rakesh Roshan and Hritik Roshan was supposed to release on Christmas 2020 but due to the outbreak of the pandemic the dates have been shifted to the first month of 2021.
- Shabash Mithu – The first poster of cricketer Mithali Raj’s biopic was shared by Taapsee Pannu who plays the main lead in the film, on January 29, 2020. The film is set to release on 5th February 2021.
- Atrangi Re – The Dhanush, Akshay Kumar and Sara Ali Khan starrer romantic drama is directed by Anand L. Rai. It is scheduled to release on 14th February 2021.
- Bell Bottom – This spy thriller movie starring Akshay Kumar, Vaani Kapoor, Huma Qureshi and Lara Dutta is directed by Ranjit M Tewari. The film is scheduled to release on 2nd April 2021.
- Satyamev Jayate 2 – Sequel to the 2018 film Satyamev Jayate stars John Abraham yet again. This vigilante action film is directed by Milap Zaveri. It is scheduled to release on 12th May 2021.
- 14 Phere – This comedy-drama film directed by Devangshu Singh stars Vikrant Massey and Kriti Kharbanda. It is set to release on 9th July 2021 theatrically. The date was by a very fun video uploaded on Zee Studio’s YouTube channel.
- Maidaan – Based on the golden era of football in India, this biographical movie starring Ajay Devgan is directed by Amit Sharma. The film is set to release on 15th October 2021.
- Raksha Bandhan – This Akshay Kumar movie is directed by Anand L. Rai. This drama film is suggestive of its theme by the name itself. It is set to release on 5th November 2021.
- Takht – The star-studded Karan Johar historical drama Takht is set to be released during Christmas i.e. 24th December 2021. From Ranveer Singh, Kareena Kapoor Khan, Alia Bhatt, Vicky Kaushal, Bhumi Pednekar, Janhvi Kapoor to Anil Kapoor all will be a part of it.
- Lal Singh Chaddha – This comedy-drama film by Amir Khan Productions starring Amir Khan is directed by Advait Chandan who is known for her debut directorial ‘Secret Superstar’. Initially scheduled to release in Christmas 2020, the film has now been postponed by a year and will release on 25th December 2021.
Here are some more movies which are set to release in 2021 but haven’t announced their release dates yet:
- Golmaal 5 – The fifth film of the franchise is being directed by Rohit Shetty. It is scheduled to release in 2021. The confirmed dates will be announced soon.
- Sooryavanshi – Slated to release in March 2020, the Akshay Kumar and Katrina Kaif movie is directed by Rohit Shetty. The movie will now be released in 2021. New release date to be announced soon.
- Brahmastra – The Ayan Mukherji directed movie starring Alia Bhatt, Ranbir Kapoor and Amitabh Bachchan is an action fantasy whose release date has been pushed forward quite a few times ever since its culmination. The final date was supposed to be 4th December 2020 but was delayed further due to the pandemic. New release date to be announced soon.
- Radhe: Your Most Wanted Bhai – The Salman Khan movie also starring Disha Patani, Randeep Hooda and Jackie Shroff is directed by Prabhu Deva. It is a remake of the South Korean film ‘Veteran’. The film was slated to release on 22 May 2020 but as the shoot was delayed, the film will now release in 2021. New release date to be announced soon.
- Jersey – The Shahid Kapoor starrer sports drama film directed by Gowtam Tinnanuri is a remake of the director’s 2019 Telugu film by the same name. It was set to release in August 2020 but has been delayed now. New release dates to be announced soon.
- Saina – The sports biography starring Parineeti Chopra where she plays the Badminton player, Saina Nehwal. Directed by Amole Gupte and produced by Bhushan Kumar, the movie was supposed to release in March 2020 but has been postponed. New release date to be announced soon.
- Prithviraj – The Miss World 2017 Manushi Chhillar and Akshay Kumar starter movie is a historical action drama. The film has been directed by Chandraprakash Dwivedi and produced by YRF. It was set to release during Diwali 2020 but has now been shifted to 2021. Release date to be announced soon.
- Gangubai Kathiawadi – Based on a chapter from Hussain Zaidi’s book ‘Mafia Queens of Mumbai’ this Sanjay Leela Bhansali film starring Alia Bhat was scheduled to release in September 2020 but as the shooting halted in March due to COVID-19 pandemic, it has been shifted to 2021. A new release date is yet to be announced.
Other films that have been making rounds in the news are:
- Om: The Battle Within – Aditya Roy Kapur, Sanjana Sanghi
- Phone Bhoot – Katrina Kaif, Siddhant Chaturvedi, Ishaan Khattar
- Kabhi Eid Kabhi Diwali – Salman Khan
- Pathan – Shahrukh Khan
- Rashmi Rocket – Taapsee Pannu
Although it is not confirmed as to when these Bollywood movies will release, they are expected to come out in 2021.