Oscar Wilde is one of the greatest playwrights of the Victorian period who will always be remembered for his captivating genius, observational wit and famous one-liners. An Irish literary writer and a multi-linguist, Wilde is an important literary figure who lived between two epochs and his unprecedented writing which binds the fantasy and the realism pictures the society. The flamboyant and fascinating literary figure always yearned for fame, lived a very short life and died at a very young age. His writings earned him devout fans the world over. A man whose words contributed to English literature with thought and depth of life dealt with upheaval in his personal life. The writer of enormously celebrated plays and novels including “ The picture of Dorian Gray” and “The importance of being Ernest” sadly met with the tragic death on the trial of homosexuality.
Today is the 166th birth anniversary of Oscar wilde and it seems fitting to leave you with some of his wittiest famous quotes:
1. Women are made to be loved, not understood.
2. To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people just exist, that is all.
3. Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead.
4. Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
5. With freedom, books, flowers, and the moon, who could not be happy?
6. Every portrait that is painted with feeling is a portrait of the artist, not of the sitter.
7. Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but the highest form of intelligence.
8. Forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much.
9. There are many things that we would throw away if we were not afraid that others might pick them up.
10. A true gentleman is a man who is never unintentionally rude.
11. When it rains, look for rainbows.
When it’s dark, look for stars.
12. The best way to make children good is to make them happy.
13. Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes.
14. Everything in the world is about sex except sex. Sex is about power.
15. The truth is rarely pure and never simple.
Let us know your favourite Oscar Wilde quote in the comment section below.