Maintenance of Vehicular Documents, E-challans Through IT Portal From Oct 1
Vehicular documents found validated through electronic portal shall not be mandated in physical forms for inspection, it said and added that details of driving licences disqualified or revoked by the licensing authority will be recorded and updated chronologically in the portal.
The government on Saturday declared that maintenance of vehicular documents, driving licenses, and e-challans, will be performed through an information technology (IT) portal from October 1, 2020.
Ministry of Road Transport & Highways (MoRTH) has introduced notifications regarding various amendments in Central Motor Vehicle Rules 1989 expecting the implementation of enforcement, Maintenance of Vehicular Documents, and E-Challans using the online portal. The Use of IT services and electronic monitoring will guarantee better enforcement of traffic rules in the country and will lead to the reduction of harassment of drivers on daily basis and would promote the citizens. After the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Act 2019 was approved and was published on 9th August 2019, these changes were required, the government asserted.
The documents don’t need to be verified in physical forms.
- The documents of the vehicles once validated through electronic means is not demanded in physical forms for inspection, and the details of driving licenses disapproved or revoked by the licensing administration will be reported and updated chronologically in the portal·
- Once the details of the documents have been validated through the electronic portal by the enforcement officer then physical forms of such documents are not required for inspection even in cases where an offence has taken place making it necessary for the officials to seize the documents, the statement stated.
- If the details given for the driving licenses has been disapproved or revoked by the licensing authority, it shall be recorded chronologically in the portal, and such record shall be analyzed regularly on the portal which has been provided, thus the record shall be maintained electronically thorough the portal and further the driver behaviour would be closely monitored.
- Further upon demanding or inspecting any documents, the date and time stamp of inspection and identity of the police officer in uniform or any other officer authorized by the State Government, shall be recorded on the Portal. This would help in unnecessary re-checking or inspection of vehicles and further would remove harassment to the drivers,” the statement said.
- All the vehicular documents can be maintained on the central government’s online portal like m-parivahan or Digi locker.
The use of mobile phones while driving is allowed solely for route navigation purposes.
The new rules introduced that the use of handheld communications devices while driving shall only be used for route navigation so that the driver will be able to concentrate and won’t be disturbed.
The government also declared that these amendments in the Motor Vehicles (Driving) Regulations 2017 have been made to align it to the Amendment in the Act like the use of handheld devices, an inspection of documents in electronic form, etc.