• About   |
  • Submit Guest Post |
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
The Second Angle (TSA Magazine)
Advertise
  • Infotainment
    • Sports
    • People
    • Inspiring
  • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
    • Home & Decoration
  • Buzz
  • Education
  • Travel
  • Finance
  • Healthcare
  • Technology
The Second Angle
No Result
View All Result
  • Infotainment
  • Entertainment
  • Buzz
  • Education
  • Travel
  • Finance
  • Healthcare
  • Technology
Advertisement
ADVERTISEMENT
Home World News

Taliban reveal burial place of founder Mullah Omar, nine years after death

by TSA Desk
November 6, 2022
in World News
Reading Time: 3 mins read
Taliban reveal burial place of founder Mullah Omar, nine years after death
Share on FacebookShare on WhatsApp
Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement
ADVERTISEMENT

RelatedPosts

Top 10 Richest Athletes of 2024 - Highest Paid - RVCJ

Top 10 Richest Athletes of 2024 – Highest Paid

The Richest Woman In The World -

Who Is The Richest Woman In The World? Top 10 List – 2024

[ad_1]

Requests by journalists to visit the tomb were rejected.

Requests by journalists to visit the tomb were rejected.

The Taliban on Sunday revealed the final resting place of the movement’s founder, Mullah Omar, whose death and burial they kept secret for years.

Rumours surrounding Omar’s health and whereabouts abounded after the Taliban were kicked out of power in 2001 by a U.S.-led invasion, and they only admitted in April 2015 that he had died two years earlier.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid told AFP on Sunday that senior leaders of the movement attended a ceremony at his gravesite earlier in the day near Omarzo, in Suri district of Zabul province.

The Taliban returned to power in August last year, routing government forces as the U.S.-led military that propped up the regime ended a 20-year occupation.

“Since a lot of enemies were around and the country was occupied, to avoid damage to the tomb it was kept secret,” Mr. Mujahid said.

“Only the close family members were aware of the place,” he added.

Pictures released by officials showed Taliban leaders gathered around a simple white brick tomb, covered with what appears to be gravel and enclosed in a green metal cage.

“Now the decision has been made… there are no issues for the people to visit the tomb,” Mr. Mujahid said.

Omar, who was aged around 55 when he died, founded the Taliban in 1993 as an antidote to the internecine civil war that erupted following the decade-long Soviet occupation.

Under his leadership the Taliban introduced an extremely austere version of Islamic rule, barring women from public life and introducing harsh public punishments — including executions and floggings.

Omar’s ceremony comes a day after provincial Taliban officials denied reports that the Panjshir Valley tomb of resistance hero Ahmad Shah Massoud had been vandalised, an act Mr. Mujahid said would be “punished” if true.

Massoud has a mixed legacy in the country, where he is hailed by ordinary Afghans for leading the resistance against the Soviet occupation, but loathed by the Taliban he also fought until his 2001 assassination by Al-Qaeda.

His tomb is in an imposing granite and marble mausoleum overlooking the picturesque Panjshir Valley, and guarded by Taliban fighters since their takeover of the country in August last year.

Local residents said a newly arrived contingent of fighters smashed the tombstone, and video of the desecrated grave — which could not be verified — was published by local media and circulating widely on social channels.

“It happened when the new forces entered Panjshir. The new forces from Helmand and Kandahar destroyed the tombstone of the national hero,” one resident told AFP.

Nasrullah Malakzada, head of information and culture of Panjshir, province, denied the tomb had been damaged and issued a video purporting to show it intact.

The clip, however, pointedly did not display the entire structure — particularly the part seen damaged in the original video.

Mr. Malakzada refused requests by journalists to visit or photograph the tomb for themselves.

Mr. Mujahid told reporters that nobody had the right to insult the dead.

“Previously we had punished those who committed such acts,” he said, adding “this will be investigated as well and necessary action will be taken”.

[ad_2]

ShareSendTweet
Previous Post

Jaipur family keeps alive 250-year old tradition of making indelible black ink used by royals

Next Post

Vision for urban transportation headlines mobility conference

Related Posts

Top 10 Richest Athletes of 2024 - Highest Paid - RVCJ
Infotainment

Top 10 Richest Athletes of 2024 – Highest Paid

Ever wondered about how your favourite athletes earn? Let's find out. We have compiled a list of the top 10...

Read moreDetails
The Richest Woman In The World -
World News

Who Is The Richest Woman In The World? Top 10 List – 2024

According to Forbes' 2024 data, 369 out of 2,781 billionaires, or 13.3% are women, up from 337 last year. But...

Read moreDetails
At least 25 killed in rebel attack on Ugandan school near Congo border
World News

At least 25 killed in rebel attack on Ugandan school near Congo border

The Allied Democratic Forces, or ADF, is accused of launching many attacks on civilians in recent years, notably on civilian...

Read moreDetails
Chinese president Xi Jinping stresses U.S.-China cooperation in meeting with Bill Gates
World News

Chinese president Xi Jinping stresses U.S.-China cooperation in meeting with Bill Gates

In this photo released by China’s Xinhua News Agency, Bill Gates, left, meets with Chinese President Xi Jinping in Beijing,...

Read moreDetails
U.S. guided-missile submarine arrives in South Korea amid North Korea’s missile tests
World News

U.S. guided-missile submarine arrives in South Korea amid North Korea’s missile tests

The nuclear-powered submarine USS Michigan approaches a naval base in Busan, South Korea | Photo Credit: AP The United States...

Read moreDetails
Morning Digest | Heavy rains pound Gujarat coast as cyclone Biparjoy makes landfall; South Manipur cut off as women-led vigilante groups block roads, and more
World News

Morning Digest | Heavy rains pound Gujarat coast as cyclone Biparjoy makes landfall; South Manipur cut off as women-led vigilante groups block roads, and more

Policemen stand guard on the Arabian Sea coast ahead of cyclone Biparjoy’s landfall at Mandvi in Kutch district of Gujarat...

Read moreDetails
Load More
Next Post
Vision for urban transportation headlines mobility conference

Vision for urban transportation headlines mobility conference

Important Links

  • About
  • Guest Post
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Contact Us
  • Newsletter

© 2017-23. The Second Angle. All Rights Reserved. Developed and Managed by SquareBase.io

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Infotainment
    • Sports
    • People
    • Inspiring
  • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
    • Home & Decoration
  • Buzz
  • Education
  • Travel
  • Finance
  • Healthcare
  • Technology

© 2017-23. The Second Angle. All Rights Reserved. Developed and Managed by SquareBase.io

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.