“Everything every day here on Earth is based on gravity, and you don’t realize it until you don’t have it anymore.”-Peggy Whitson (An American Astronaut)
What They Teach You In School-
Gravity is an attractive force between two objects, and this attraction is dependent upon the mass (not weight) of that object. The greater the mass, greater the gravity & greater the gravity, greater the pulling effect.
- Gravity doesn’t let us float away from the ground we walk upon.
- Gravity doesn’t let the ball you hit with your bat, fly away, never to return.
- Gravity always makes fruits fall on the ground and not up in the air.
- Gravity gives us tides in the ocean, a boon to the Ships, and with ocean currents, our climate gets regulated.
- Gravity, most importantly holds our atmosphere, the air we breathe in, and the various essential gases for sustaining life processes.
- The Earth is a sphere, not a perfect one with lumps and bumps (the Mountains and trenches.) It rotates with 1600km/hr speed at its bulging equator and just 0.00008km/hr at flattened poles. Hence, places along the equator would feel the strongest jolts without Gravity.
- Winds Would Exceed the speed of the strongest Hurricanes ever recorded.
- Five seconds without Gravity, we could fly a distance of about 2.3 km. Doesn’t sound like a jetpack joyride, right?
- Objects (no Matter how big or heavy) animals, people, including trees will be uprooted along with soil debris, & rivers, lakes, and oceans will be thrown mid-air.
- Atmospheric gases like the oxygen we breathe and other gases are held as a blanket around the Earth due to gravity. With zero Gravity, they’d drift into the outer-space.
- Within five seconds, there’d be a rapid drop in air pressure and might lead to organ failures. Our Blood Pressure would surpass the air pressure around and would force outwards through our ears and nose.
- From inside the core up to the crust, ‘Expansion’ would be observed. A five-second halt won’t cause an explosion however, big, very big quakes and massive eruptions of Volcanoes would cause large scale devastation,gulping down big cities.