The auto industry was already tackling a slowdown even before the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic which further increased the problem. 2020 was a rocky year for the auto sector. It surely was a year of challenges, but the auto industry quickly bounced back to see a revival with new model launches, and car sales increased substantially. The urgent need for personal means of travel over public transport, favorable lending policies introduced by the Government of India, and various other factors led 2020 to end on a more positive note.
We bring you 20 of the best selling cars for the year 2020 so you can figure out which companies are gonna make it big this year:-
Biggest car makers with the biggest profit :
1. Maruti Suzuki
- The top seven best-selling cars were all from Maruti Suzuki India Limited.
- Maruti Suzuki Swift was 2020’s bestseller, gaining an edge over the most affordable Alto which was at No. 1 in 2019.
- The Alto model trailing behind could be because Maruti discontinued the Alto K10.
- Maruti Suzuki also ruled the market as the leading automaker in India with the Baleno, WagonR, DZire, Ertiga XL6, and the Eeco.
- Total sales in the past year stood at 67,690 units, up from 25,254 units sold in 2019.
- The Hyundai Creta SUV which came in at No. 8 breaking the reign of Maruti Suzuki, was 2020’s top-selling SUV.
- Sales of the Creta dipped with a little margin of 3% i.e. 96,989 units in 2020 down from 99,736 units sold in 2019.
- The Xcent / Aura sedan also increased sales to 36,304 units in 2020, up from 19,215 units sold in 2019.
3. Kia Motors
- A newbie to the Indian auto motor game, Kia Motors saw the Seltos SUV at No.9, trailing behind the Creta by just 57 units in sales with more than 96,000 of its units sold in 2020.
- The Kia Sonet, Nissan Magnite, and the new Hyundai i20 are expected to be chart-toppers in 2021.
- Mahindra Bolero, at 16th spot, was the only car from Mahindra, once a leading SUV seller to make it to the list.
- The Tiago model was Tata’s bestselling car in 2020.
- The Renault Triber overtook the spot of entry-level Kwid to become the carmaker’s bestselling car in addition to being currently the most affordable 7-seater, and the upcoming 1.0-litre turbo-petrol variant.